Friday, May 1, 2009

Muy Grande

All I have to say is it's worth the visit but don't know what I can really say. Perhaps I leave it to Charly to say a few words. Oh...one thing I can say is I see a rim to rim hike of the canyon in my future. 

Tony and I did the hike into the canyon the first day there (6 mi) and then the day after that we did the easy rim walk (7mi). Guess which was more difficult??? For me it was the rim CUZ MY LEGS WERE JELLY after the previous days hike! Oh and we did that hike as fast up and we did down- a total of only 4 hours! We were so proud:) We also saw maybe like 5 California condor on that hike (we heard this had something to do with an elk that had fallen to its death nearby causing the condors to be quite active). For those of you who don't know, I didn't, the condor can have a wingspan of up to 9 ft. 

Cloudy canyon day

Desert view tower

Hiking the canyon

Tony and I saw our FIRST ELK at the grand canyon, too! Though it wasn't on a hike, it was while we were driving through the little town they have on site. Unfortunately, we have no picture because there were cars behind us:(

Star at the canyon

The grand canyon was also the place we realized-woah- there are more foreign people here than Americans. I guess we are pretty lucky to have the national park system. 

Grand vista

First stop on canyon hike

And of course, who could forget that the grand canyon is the place where Tony and I had been camping and had to switch our site to stay one day longer. So, being too lazy to completely take down the tent, we carried the fully assembled tent with our sleeping bags and everything in them down the road to our next camping site... and yes, we did get some pretty weird looks but it was hair-larious!

She hikes the canyon

No comments:

Post a Comment