Monday, February 2, 2009

Unexpected Marvels

All yesterday I was craving a hot ham and cheese and I finally got it at a greasy spoon in the city of Wall (as in Wall Drug), SD- YAY! It was all I had hoped it would be:) We saw so many things today from the Badlands to Mt Rushmore to the Black Hills and I have to saw a few things that surprise me: first off I have to give South Dakota -at least the western bit -more credit than I previously did because it really is fascinating land, secondly it is damn difficult to drive in the Mts when you don't know what in the hell you are doing and suddenly roads are closed and you have to backtrack all that way, and finally I was pleasantly surprised to find that my favorite sight of the day was somewhat unexpected. I found a particular set of rocks in the black hills which I am now kicking myself for not taking a picture of them. Though my words couldn't do them justice they looked to me like giant pestles all leaned up against a mountainside and just as tall as the mountain, too. They appeared free from one another and I imagined one of them peeling away from the others the way a baseball bat may if you stood it up against a wall... peeling away and crushing the car with it's mightyness. awe.

No comments:

Post a Comment